Hakim Hilliard serves as a principal of the Firm.
Serving clients primarily in the Metropolitan Atlanta area, Hakim’s practice focuses on assisting landowners, business owners, developers, builders and others seeking specific entitlements to the use of property, including, but not limited to, land use and zoning matters, alcohol licensing and permitting and business licensing.
In addition, Hakim provides strategic government affairs advice to clients in the areas of procurement; public private partnerships, privatization and specialized issues related to the identification and application of specific economic development incentives for land developers. On the administrative side, Hakim assists clients seeking to do business with government in securing vendor registrations and, where applicable, minority and/or female business enterprise designations, local small business designations and, at the state level, disadvantaged business designations. In each of his client engagements, Hakim operates in that space where government, law and public policy intersect.
Hakim has enjoyed twenty-two years of experience in government affairs in the Metropolitan Atlanta area. He began his career as an assistant city attorney with the City of Atlanta, providing counsel to the Mayor, City Council and various city departments, including the Bureau of Planning Development and Neighborhood Conservation. He also staffed the Zoning Review Board, Board of Zoning Adjustment and the Urban Design Commission on issues related to land use, zoning and historic preservation. He later became a partner with the international law firm McKenna Long & Aldridge, LLP.
As a teenager, Hakim relocated with his family from San Francisco, California to East Point, Georgia, and has made Atlanta his home since then. In his private time, Hakim’s first priority is spending quality time with his daughter and writing short stories. He lives each day with the goal of attempting to give more than he receives, and to reflect that idea in every part of his work and life.
- The Georgetown University Law Center, J.D. (1993)
- Morehouse College, B.A. (1990)
- Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star (2006)
- Fulton County Daily Report “Rainmaker” Profile (2005)
- Fulton County Daily Report’s “40 Under 40” List (2004)
- Atlanta Business League (2012-Present)
- Lambda Alpha International, Inc. (2011-Present)
- Regional Leadership Institute (2009)
- 100 Black Men of Atlanta, Inc.
- Gate City Bar Association
- C.T. Vivian Male Scholars Program, Founding Member (2009-Present)
- Atlanta Preparatory Academy Charter Elem. School, Chairman (2009-2013)
- Ron Clark Academy, Chairman and Founding Board Member (2005-2007)
- Georgia State University, Adjunct Professor (1999-2012)